5G wireless network technology and improved fiber optics are bringing unlimited possibilities and benefits to consumers. More importantly, 5G will also provide increased value to commercial applications in industries ranging from telemedicine, virtual and augmented reality (AR/VR) and machine-to-machine (M2M) communication. Applications that leverage 5G networks require vast amounts of data. Whether it’s a large work station or small mobile device, the demand for fast and stable data processing with reliable storage has exponentially increased with 5G. Memory solutions can make all the difference in network speed and reliability.
Challenges and Requirements
• 5G is expected to support a variety of applications related to IoT, remote education, 3-D visualization, and AR/VR. Applications such as Artificial Intelligence (AI) also require massive deep machine learning, and this type of data-heavy technology must operate on a system with stable, high-computing performance.
• Telecom operates 24/7, carrying and providing data around the globe. Maintaining that level of continuous computing capability, while ensuring connectivity, integration and security, is a huge challenge. In addition, sudden power loss or unexpected memory failure are also important considerations when selecting components for highly-networked telecommunications systems.
• With telecom networks covering vast amounts of geography, the support system must be robust. Designing with components that can offer solid transmission protection and environmental endurance across widely fluctuating temperatures ensures stable operation under any condition.
SMART Modular Solutions
• SMART Modular's DuraMemory™ DRAM offered in RDIMM, UDIMM, SODIM, VLP/ULP UDIMM and Mini UDIMM with enterprise-grade performance and the reliability required for telecom applications. Additional features, such as memory module burn-in, 30μin gold-coated contacts, underfill, conformal coating, anti-sulfur resistors and retention clips, are the differentiators for SMART Modular’s rugged, industrial memory modules. They offer life-long stable, reliable computing – key functionality demanded by telecommunications networks and workloads.
• SMART's DuraFlash 3D NAND SSD products, including 2.5" SATA, M.2 SATA, mSATA, SATA Slim, SATA DOM, M.2 and U.2 PCIe NVMe modules, are designed for intensive workloads and cost-sensitive applications while offering value-add features such as data integrity, memory module burn-in, industrial temperature and optimized firmware. Optional SafeData™ power loss data protection provides the next level in data integrity and reliability.
• SMART’s DuraFlash Card Compact Flash (CF), SD and microSD cards are compact and ideal for portable devices. They come with on-board error detection and correction algorithms, plus static and dynamic wear-leveling algorithms with industrial-grade operating temperature parameters to ensure long-life and reliable operation.