Defense and military application require the most demanding, robust and reliable system for mission-critical operations, whether it’s a radar system on a navy vessel, a communication system in a drone or a computer system in an armored vehicle. For Army, Navy, Air Force, and even Homeland Security, every system using computer memory faces its own unique set of circumstances and environments. Vibration, humidity, heat, altitude – all are factors that could possibly interfere with system operation. Systems, and their memory, must be able to respond in any scenario.
Challenges and Requirements
• In a military conflict or defense-related training, a single error in data processing, access or transmission can cause irreparable consequences in the field or in military engagements. Defense systems need to provide solid and stable performance in any condition.
• Encryption is essential where there’s national security at issue. Whenever data is transmitted between devices, data protection is imperative. Memory in defense applications must be able to meet a variety of military standards, depending on the risks at play.
• On-board systems in military vehicles, helicopters, or jets are particularly susceptible to shock or vibration in the field. Memory built for such applications must have protection built into them and have the ability to integrate hardware with firmware.
SMART Modular Solutions
• SMART Modular's DuraMemory DRAM offer a variety of form factors, including SO-DIMM, Module-in-a-Package (MIP), VLP UDIMM, RDIMM/LRDIMM and VLP/ULP Mini-DIMM with optional features for withstanding extreme environments military settings undergo. SMART Modular modules are enhanced with features such as 30μin gold-coated contacts, underfill, conformal coating and anti-sulfur resistors to provide reliability and longevity with intensive workloads.
• SMART RUGGED SSDs are specifically designed and optimized for defense applications. The 2.5" SATA SSDs include T5E, S5E, M4, M4P, and M1HC versions, among others, deliver high performance, superior reliability and data security into single ruggedized designs.
• SMART Modular's DuraFlash 3D NAND SSD ME series, M.2 2280 SATA for example, are designed as embedded solutions for defense applications. With high endurance (DWPD 0.3 or 1), power loss protection and wide temperature operation capability, data in defense application is securely stored.